A new normal.

"Sleep when the baby sleeps," is probably the most oft-heard piece of advice given to a new mom. And having been a new mom for over a year now, I can finally agree. The problem is that if you're baby doesn't sleep through the night for the first year, and he only catnaps during the day, then it doesn't really work.

I am not like David, who can fall asleep in precisely 17 seconds. I'm lucky if I'm asleep within half an hour, and by that point, naptime is over.

But the past week -- likely due to the time change -- I've taken to going to bed before 9:00. Last night I'm pretty sure I was asleep by 8:30.

I've also worn earplugs the past two nights, with the understanding that if the baby whines enough to wake David, then he'll wake me to go feed the boy. You see, even after fourteen months, I wake up with every whimper or sneeze, even with the wee boy two closed doors away. And that does not make for a very good night's sleep.

So the last two nights, I've slept pretty well, even with the 5:30am wakeup call. Yes, the boy is cheerful and ready to party at 5:30am. He did not get this from me.

I've determined that 8:30 pm is my new normal bedtime, and every gig I play from now on will begin at 5:30pm.

Who's into happy hour gigs in Louisville? Nashville always has early shows. What's our problem, anyway?


3 comments

  1. This sounds EXACTLY like our house. John falls asleep so fast and so soundly sometimes it makes me want to punch him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We oughta start a Happy Hour at Mama's Hip!

    ReplyDelete