How do Stand-up Comedians do it?

Major artist dilemma here. I've become increasingly concerned about what people think about me.

You see, I've unintentionally hurt people's feelings here and there by things I say or joke about on my blog. The last time it happened, I just clammed up and stopped writing all together. It's no one's fault, but it really got to me. I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but I do -- especially friends and family members, whom I love dearly and who I know (well, now I know) read my blog.

This morning, I decided to stop caring and just write what's on my mind. We'll see how long that lasts.

But seriously ... how do people like stand-up comedians do it? They've been making jokes about their mothers and co-workers since "Take my mother/wife/sister, please," and probably before then. Are they all single and creepy (I'm picturing Frank on 30 Rock here)? Are their parents dead? How can they make those in-law jokes if they are single? Do their relatives and friends not pay any attention to their career? Do they just not care?

Seriously, I'm curious. How does that work?

I mean, I have all kinds of funny stories rolling around in here.

Somehow I never had this problem with songwriting. Once you put a melody to it, either everyone assumes it's about them or NO ONE assumes it's about them. That makes it a lot easier. Prose is a lot more personal.

1 comments

  1. I admire moxy. And you could totally do stand-up! /C

    ReplyDelete