Celebrities and a good show on V-day.

I'm busy as can be this weekend. My parents have gone out of town, and I am house and dogsitting for them. These dogs are the fattest Great Dane and Labrador Duo you have ever seen, and they each have psychological disorders. Guinness has separation anxiety which manifests itself by destroying and eating all things left in his reach the minute his loved ones exit the front door. George won't walk go near a floor grate and feels horribly guilty whenever Guinness eats the couch.

Also, I'm doing two recording sessions for various people and have yet to learn the tunes.

Tonight, I'm "celebrity wait staff" aka volunteering at the 43rd Annual Cystic Fibrosis Celebrity Dinner Party. I'm not exactly a star basketball player or a Grammy-winner, so I'm expecting a lot of, "Who are you again?" from the attendees. It's a fun event, though, at the Mellwood Center. Cocktails are at 6:00. Details are on some website somewhere.

On Monday, which is Valentine's Day, I'm going to sit in with Sid Griffin's group, The Coal Porters, over at the Rudyard Kipling. They are coming all the way from London, England, and heading to the Folk Alliance in Memphis. But seeing that Sid is a Louisville native, it's only appropriate that they stop in Louisville for a show.

Details for this show:
Monday February 14 7:30: Sid Griffin and the Coal Porters from England play Bluegrass for sliding scale admission--$5 to $10! A Sweet Adelines Quartet seranades The Rud patrons; A prix fixe dinner by chefs Sheila and Tim to celebrate love and romance. There'll be gumbo on rice, slaw, and cornbread for $7 and glorious cherry cheesecake for $3 more; bluegrass and zydeco are beer brothers. There'll be vegan beans, etc., also. The most romantic Valentine in town! We'd love for you to call 636-1311 to make reservations.

The Coal Porters are an excellent group. I tried to catch then at the Americana Conference in Nashville last fall, but had to return to Louisville unexpectedly early. So though I've seen Sid solo before, I'm really looking forward to hearing the full band.

Sid has this just ridiculous musical biography, full of big important names that I should probably drop in the spirit of promotion (people who are actual celebrities, not people like me who are just being called "celebrity waiters" at wonderful charity dinners hee hee). Really though, it doesn't matter who he's written about or used to play with (piqued your interest? find out at www.SidGriffin.com) because he writes and performs good music with good musicians. That's good enough reason to hear them live.

I'll write more about the show on Monday, but just in case you're stressed to make Valentine's plans...

0 comments