Twenty-Ten.

I like good grammar. I cringe when I find a typo in one of my already-published blogs, especially if it's a misplaced comma or apostrophe. I know it's silly to obsess over proper semicolon usage or to feel anger when someone mixes up "your" and "you're," so I try not to let it upset me. But still, it pleases me when I learn something new about the English language. I especially enjoy being right when it sounds wrong, as in the proper pronunciation of the year 2010.

The National Association for Good Grammar sent out a press release announcing that 2010 should officially be pronounced "'twenty ten,' and all subsequent years should be pronounced as 'twenty eleven,' 'twenty twelve,' etc." That's easier to say than "two-thousand ten," and it also makes sense. All those years in the 1980s were pronounced "nineteen-eighty-one," not "one-thousand-nine-hundred-and-eighty-one." Unless you precede all years with "in the year of Our Lord," let's just go with the simple "twenty-ten."

I'm also excited to be able to write MMX on my checks. Although, I can't remember the last time I actually wrote a check.

0 comments