Road Trip, Day 4: Austin, Day 2

This morning I woke up to a wonderful thunderstorm. Having lived in the basement for a year now, I have forgotten what rain on the windows sounds like. I laid in bed two hours longer just to enjoy the sounds.

Plus, it's a real bed. Not an air mattress in a hotel room, or a couch in a tour bus, or a futon in the basement: a real bed.

Lyzz and Josh, much like Virgina and Garrett, are grownups. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a grownup too. I have mortgages and health insurance and a dining room table (granted, my dining room table is a broken baby grand piano), but I'm going through an adventurous phase in my life. It's been here for about 28 years. Buying a bed isn't nearly as exciting to me as buying a Gibson.

Lyzz and Josh went to work today. Josh flew to Nashville for his computer job. He works for Dell, I think. And I think he secretly covets my iPhone, but will never admit it because he can't be found to be a "mac guy." Can you imagine, having to pretend that you love Windows?

Lyzz is a firewoman. She's an uber-hot firewoman. In fact, she is Miss February in the 2008 Austin Women Firefighters Calendar. She headed to the station at noon for her shift. They have Roman Rings at her station. One day, I'm going to come back and do some Roman Ring tricks.

I had the house to myself today because they're all off being workin'-folk. So, of course, I left for brunch first thing I could.

Today was brunch at Magnolia with Jesse from Atlanta. Delicious Migas. I haven't figured out why everything comes with soft tortillas. Do people in Texas just like to mash all their flavors together in compact on-the-go package? I tried it, but just ended up picking out the innards with a fork.

Next on today's itinerary: the flagship Whole Foods store.

I was expecting a nice store, but nothing could have prepared me for the beauty that is Whole Foods. Imagine that scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original) when Gene Wilder sings "Pure Imagination," and everyone's in awe of the magical room with the chocolate river. That's how i felt, except it wasn't chocolate. It was exotic fruits, and all kinds of nut butters, and vegan meals, and counters where you could sit in the middle of the store and have a meal. It was a whole wine store in the middle of the grocery. It made Whole Foods in Louisville look like Dirty Kroger.

So, for those of you who were wondering which Austin eastery I patronized, and with whom (thanks for all your inquiries!) ... I took a nap and then feasted on my Whole Foods purchases.

Then I went to the Continental Club for Sara Borges and the Broken Singles. Trish and Al were there, and they introduced me to lots of nice nice folks. I played the do-you-know-so-and-so-from-Kentucky game with Sara's drummer, and, of course, we had a match the first name mentioned.

Dale Watson was playing next. He's great, but it got really crowded. So here i am, home alone, blogging away. And loving it. I'm going to have a whole blog about Solo Vacations soon.

I'm getting up early tomorrow for some sightseein'.

0 comments