Can you even dye my eyes to match my brow?

Can you even dye my eyes to match my brow?
Current mood: adventurous
"Ha-ha-ha, Ho-ho-ho, And a couple of tra-la-las
That’s how we laugh the day away In the Merry Old Land of Oz
We can make a dimpled smile out of a frown.
Can you even dye my eyes to match my gown?"

I had a dentist appointment this morning. I don’t mind going to the dentist, as long as it’s just for a checkup and cleaning. Recently, however, my dentist moved from it’s charming pre-war location in the Starks Building downtown, to ..... Middletown!! Yes, Middletown. It took 30 minutes to get there because I hit every single red light. I was five minutes late, and I hate being late. But no cavities or fissures today.

Anyway, to calm myself after another long trip back down Shelbyville Road, I decided to stop in at my absolute favorite local relaxation center: Joseph’s Salon & Spa.

You may have noticed that I grew up the child of a hippie, and I accidentally inherited her carefree ways (i.e. i grew thinking everyone knew who john prine was, i was a vegetarian at 15, i’ve never had a haircut or dyed my hair and i didn’t wear a bra until i was about 25). I have, however, recently developed a beauty regimen: I have my eyebrows tinted every few months.

Yes, this is bizarre, and I’d never heard of it before I did some modeling work for Louisville Magazine.

I had never set foot in Joseph’s before when I was whisked there for a photo shoot. The brilliant owner, Kelli, suggested that I "tint my brows." Admittedly, I had no idea what she was talking about. I mean, I’ve trimmed my own hair since I was 14; who dyes her eyebrows??! The first time I had it done, I thought I looked like Groucho Marx. But it turns out that my natural-blonde-as-can-be eyebrows never show up on film. Simply darkening them a bit makes my eyes pop out of my head (see that saucy photo in the red scarf and check out my perfectly tinted brows!). I became an addict. I needed darker brows.

So this morning, I popped into Joseph’s to make an appointment for some brow work. I was crossing my fingers they would have something on Friday morning, but they had a cancellation just then. Perfect timing!

Then Kelli asked, "Would you like your lashes done too?"

WHAT?!?!?! I thought she was kidding.

I’m trying to be brave in my old age now, and while I’m not at all prepare to have my hair colored or highlighted in any way, I trust the folks at Joseph’s utterly. If Kelli thinks I should get my overly strawberry-blonde lashes tinted, then I’m game.

I think I was a bit more nervous in that chair than in the dentist’s, but that is because I am an oddball. Then, this technician took a small paintbrush and gently painted my lashes. After ten minutes of keep my eyes closed (during which i enjoyed whatever XM radio channel they were listening to -- "angel from montgomery," the JP version played in the background), the reveal came. I saw that my lashes were, get this, actually visible. And totally normal, natural-looking, and not at all freaky!!

I always feel like floating out of Joseph’s. Maybe one day, I’ll actually get my hair cut. I think they are the only salon I could ever trust.

Maybe they’ll let me bring a video camera in there and document it, like a Baby Book: My First Haircut.

Maybe I’ll do the "before scenes" in B&W and the "After scenes" in technicolor, just like Judy Garland.
Tra la la, ho ho ho....

0 comments